Saturday, September 26, 2009

Chestnuts

While working at Dollywood many years back, I had the fortune of clocking in right next to an exhibit on the American Chestnut. And every day Dolly told me about this horrible fungus that wiped out all these beautiful old trees.

So sad. No really, I was upset about it.

That is until I had a chestnut tree in my yard. Now I'm not in the least bit upset.

All because of these evil things
If you've never encountered one, it might not look that bad. But one prick of those spikes and you'll think again!

Every fall I spend at least good five minutes of every morning in my backyard with tongs in hand ridding my yard of these spiky devils.

So needless to say, I'm okay with this Great American Chestnut Blight.

P.S. This may not be very green of me... but I wouldn't mind too much if there was a Chinese Chestnut Blight to take out the tree in my yard as well.

1 comment:

  1. roast those puppies on an open fire and serve them at your christmas party! yum!

    ReplyDelete